Source: India Today
Published: Jun 25, 2022
Gold, silver prices today: On Thursday, June 23, both gold and silver are trading on the lower side of the Multi Commodity Exchange (MCX). Check the latest city-wise prices here.
Source: India Today
Published: Jun 28, 2022
Shinde undecided about pulling the plug on MVA? What to expect in Maharashtra crisis today
Hectic parleys and strategising are underway as the possibility of a floor test looms large over the Maharashtra Vikas Aghadi government in Maharashtra, which is gripped by crisis after minister Eknath Shinde decamped to Guwahati with a troupe of rebel Shiv Sena MLAs.
Rumoured to have the support of 48 legislators, with more trickling in every day, Shinde’s faction may decide to withdraw support to the ruling MVA, making it difficult for it to prove majority on the floor of the House. Meanwhile, the BJP is waiting in the wings, eyeing its chance to stake claim to form the next government by replacing the weakened three-party coalition.
Here's what to expect in the Maharashtra political crisis today:
1. All eyes are on the leader of the rebel faction, Eknath Shinde. Sources said Shinde is still undecided on sending a letter to Maharashtra Governor BS Koshiyari regarding the withdrawal of support to the ruling MVA coalition.
2. The government as well as the Opposition are exploring the possibility of floor test even if the Supreme Court has stayed proceedings to disqualify 16 dissident Shiv Sena MLAs. While the BJP may insist on a floor test, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray is likely to consult his legal advisors on whether he can challenge any move to hold the floor test.
3. The BJP is unlikely to approach Governor BS Koshiyari directly for a floor test amid the ongoing political turmoil in the state, sources said. A member of a smaller party from the state will likely reach out to the Governor demanding a floor test since the three-party MVA coalition government has weakened in numbers, they added.
4. The Governor may also take suo moto cognisance of the situation and ask for a floor test, the sources further said.
5. The BJP leaders are likely to go into huddle again ahead of the party's order for its MLAs to reach Mumbai on June 29. They may chalk out a strategy in case the Governor asks the chief minister to prove his majority in the Legislative Assembly.
6. The saffron party will form the government in the state in alliance with Eknath Shinde’s camp, the sources said, adding that the party has asked all its MLAs to stay in and around Mumbai so that everyone can be present for the floor test.
7. The Enforcement Directorate has summoned Shiv Sena spokesperson Sanjay Raut in connection with a money laundering probe linked to the Patrawala Chawl case. Raut has announced that he will skip the summons as he is scheduled to be in Alibaug for a party event.
8. The central government is likely to take a decision on Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari’s request to deploy paramilitary forces in Maharashtra in view of increasing cases of political violence.